I’ve been the one who has struggled with getting a good night’s sleep. I’ve had so many nights of insomnia laying awake looking at the ceiling, thinking, thinking, thinking. Then only waking in the morning to feel just awful, drained and miserable. As I have learned, I have dealt with this because of Thyroid Imbalance. You may ask what does insomnia and Thyroid Imbalance mean?
For me, in those times I didn’t know insomnia was a symptom of Thyroid Imbalance. In my case insomnia was played out in fibromyalgia throwing me for a loop as to what was happening to me. Maybe many of you can relate to insomnia and putting you at a loss as to why!
Along my journey to overcome my sleepless nights I have found a few things that greatly helped. I want to pass on information to help you to also overcome insomnia and, in turn, possible Thyroid Imbalance. Some of you may have other things going on that are temporarily causing insomnia. But if you have had this going on for some time it could likely be linked to your thyroid.
I’ve listed below a few ideas to get you some better. These are natural things that can give you some control over insomnia. These are what you can do for better sleep. Insomnia and Thyroid Imbalance may be helped by these.
- Make sure all electronics are turned off anywhere from 1- 2 hours BEFORE bedtime. You can check out the research on Blue lights and its effects. www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/blue-light-has-a-dark-side. That is the light that is emitted from phones, ipads, computers, notepads, etc. For me, I won’t check my phone or emails, etc. after 8 pm.
- Journaling before bed can help relax the mind and body preparing for sleep. Buy a pretty journal book and begin to write.
- Meditation, Bible reading, prayer can help you let go of your day especially if it was stressful.
- Lavender essential oil is well known for relaxation, calming and helping to soothe us. It can be used topically, diffusing, in bathwater and/or on bed linens.
- Magnesium is a mineral which is known to help with insomnia. Check with your doctor or health practitioner. Using Epsom salts in bathwater is a great way to get some magnesium.
- Skullcap herb is a relaxing herb and helps with nervous tension. Find your own research to discover more about this herb. I have found it in a Tea called Stress Ease. In my experience, it proved a very relaxing tea!
I hope this will help. Discover what may work for you. Experiment and find your routine. Eventually, you can fall and stay asleep. (Isn’t that the goal?)
I’d love to hear what you tried and found what worked for you.
I am here to help and support. I have my fibro story for you to read here at www.kathleenflanders.com. There are programs I offer on my site so you can get on top of fibro and sleep, exercise, reduce stress and anxiety having the energy to live your life more fully again. Contact me on my website or at Kathleen@KathleenFlandersCoaching.com.
We will talk soon. Have a good week.
To your health and all my best,
Kathleen, CHHC, AADP
Disclaimer Notice: This information is intended for educational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for medical care or to prescribe treatment for any specific health condition.